Royal Park Nature Playground, Melbourne
In this award-winning nature playground designed by a crack team of City of Melbourne enthusiasts you’ll find:
- A rope course with rope traverses, elevated horizontal logs and ladder and rope net.
- Three metal slides – one slide is steep, fast and twisty, another slide is shorter but very steep and the third slide is wide with a gentler pace.
- Six swings (some with safety chains)
- Steep grassy hill for rolling down
- Water play area with hand pumps, a couple of water sprays and channels to control the flow of water down to the sandpit below.
- Huge log and rope climbing structure
- Birds nest swing and metal skeleton of a dinosaur
- Lots of natural play elements such as huge rocks and logs
- A large area has been landscaped with native and indigenous plants and bushes
- Accessible paths wind through the playground
The playground is most suited to older kids (at least five years old).
There are two areas with picnic tables, water taps and BBQs plus unshaded seats scattered about. There are no shelters or shade and toilets have now been added.
Parking can be a bit problematic during the week but is free and more available on Saturday afternoons and Sundays. The surrounding areas have one or two hour parking during the week.
The playground is located immediately to the east of the Royal Children’s Hospital and provides a wonderful resource for patients and visitors to the hospital.
- Cost: Free
- Booking not required
Royal Park Nature Playground, VIC Gatehouse Street, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Next Activity Monday, 1 Jun. 2020 This activity recurs every: Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday